Municipality of Zadar
The Peace Treaty of Zadar (February 18, 1358)
The Peace Treaty of Zadar was signed on February 18, 1358 between the Republic of Venice and the Hungarian – Croatian King Louis I of Anjou. It was signed in the Zadar monastery of St. Francis, in the presence of the peers and the church high dignitary among whom the Zagreb bishop Stjepan, Bosniac bishop Peter, Ban of Croatia and Dalmatia, Ivan Cuz and Venetian state chancellor Benintendi. The copy of this document is to be found on the wall of the St. Francis monastery and the original is kept in the State Archives of Venice.
This date denotes the turning-point in the long-standing Venetian dominion over Zadar. As a result of the peace treaty, the Republic of Venice had to give all its possessions in Dalmatia from Kvarner to DraÄÂ to the Hungarian – Croatian King.
Zadar was now freely connected with its fertile hinterland and from that time on enjoyed its full autonomy and developed its communal life. One of the most important things that happened during this period was the foundation of Dominican university in 1396, one of the first Europan institutions of higher learning of the time, which laid the foundations of the present university. This outstanding epoch of the history of Zadar lasted for 50 years and finished in 1409, when Zadar came again under the domination of Venice.
The period from 11th to the 14th century that preceeded signing the Peace Treaty was stormy and full of attacks, sieges and devastations, but despite of it, it was still known as the golden age of Zadar. The town was exceptionally successful and could keep step with developed European cities. Thanks to its clever politicians that knew how to make the most of its excellent position, sea-orientation and fertile hinterland united with marittime and trade skills, Zadar had the key role on the eastern Adriatic coast. It was reflected in its outlook and culture and even today Zadar shows the splendour of that medieval times in its beuatiful buildings, monuments and churches.
The present-day Zadar
A three thousand years old Zadar, situated on the eastern Adriatic coast, is the administrative centre of the Zadar County, 7486,91 km2 large area, half of which belongs to the coast, characterized by diversity of the relief and an outstanding beauty of the nature. Besides attractive centre, Zadar comprises former outskirts and beautiful islands and with its splendid position has a special place in traffic and tourism of the area. Connected with world by international maritime, air and land transport corridors, it's primarily oriented toward tourism, and has well-developed food processing industry, precision mechanics, marittime affairs, mariculture, yachting, etc. It has long educational tradition and the university from 1396, and exceptionally rich historical and cultural heritage.
It is the fifth largest city in the Republic of Croatia with the population of 75 000 inhabitants, the city that is of the perfect size to live in.