Town Council of Évora Monte
THE VILLAGE OF EVORAMONTE
Evoramonte is one of the oldest villages of the province of Alentejo (southern Portugal). Human occupation of this region dates back to the Upper Paleolithic and have had their heyday in the Late Bronze Age during which wad erected on this place one of major cities around the southwestern Iberian Peninsula, known as Dipo, which will been destroyed and abandoned by the Roman occupiers who left here very few traces of their passage.
Historical references to this village only come back after the Christian Reconquest of the territories in southern Portugal in the twelfth century, with reports that the town has received its first charter at the beginning of the next century (1248) from King Afonso III of Portugal.
In 1306, King Dinis of Portugal ordered the construction of the walls and later on, a couple of six seventeenth-century ramparts were built.
In 1531 an earthquake has destroyed a significant part of the village and the walls, that would later be rebuilt alongside the building by order of Don Jaime, 2nd. Duke of Braganza, the Tower / Palace of Evoramonte, monument of unique architectural features throughout the Iberian Peninsula and with a clear Italian influence.
In 1834, Evoramonte enter in Portugal's history since the 26th. May of this year it was signed there the peace treaty known as the Convention (or Concession) of Evoramonte that ended the only civil war that Portugal has known for almost 900 years of history.
Paradoxically, here begins the decline of the village and in 1855 lost its county, and its territory were divided among the neighboring municipalities of Estremoz, Évora and Arraiolos.
In the middle of the twentieth century, due to lack of work in agriculture Evoramonte suffers an intense emigration of its workforce for the industrial area of Lisbon, which had, as main consequence, a huge decline in its population, which remains to our days.
The main architectural monuments are the Old Town House, the House of the Convention, the Tower / Palace of Evoramonte (national monument), the medieval walls and gates (national monument), the Parish Church of Santa Maria, the Church of St. Peter, the Chapel of Mercy and more eight little chapels scattered by the surroundings.