Municipality of Kaynardzha
Kaynardzha Municipality is situated in Northeastern Bulgaria and is one of
the seven municipalities in the region Silistra. It is a small municipality with an area of 314.96 square
kilometers, bordering to several Bulgarian municipalities and a Romanian municipality on the land
border between Bulgaria and Romania. Currently Kaynardzha is an agricultural municipality with a
population of 5880 people and is situated on the geostrategic location, which nowadays serves as the
cohesion and development of good cross-border relations with the neighboring Romanian
The living places at the territory of the municipality arose in the era of the
Thracians and in Roman times, when in this region – the Onglos, the beginning of our beautiful country
Bulgaria has been settled. At present the Kaynardzha Municipality has 15 villages.
The village Kaynardzha originated in ancient times, but the earliest written
record about the village under the name "Kyuchuk Kaynardzha" is noticed in the Turkish tax records
from 1583. During the years of the Ottoman Empire, v.Kaynardzha is one of the largest villages in
Northeastern Bulgaria and Dobrogea (Dobrudzha) region. In 1774 this place had been crucial to the
victory of Russia over the Ottoman Empire in the war 1768-1774 and nowadays it represents „ PLACE
In 1770 Count Rumyantsev had used a cunning military strategy and
defeated the armies of the Ottoman Empire. It had almost led to the signing of a peace agreement, but
Turkey boosted by England and France, commenced again and resumed hostilities. Then the virtuoso
General Suvorov had been involved. Three victories followed- in 1773 and 1774 - Tutrakan, Harsovo
and Kozludja (Kozludzha). The Ottoman Empire was forced to ask for peace. New durable negotiations
followed and on 21.07.1774 the peace treaty had been signed by the representatives of the two
empires in Kaynardja (Kaynardzha), Silistra region. The peace treaty was drawn up in Russian, Italian
and Turkish language.
The peace treaty from Kyuchuk Kaynardzha of 1774
The memories from this event are stored at present in a splendid exhibition of documents, military
maps and portraits of army commanders in this war, and the exhibition itself is located in one of the
halls of the tourist visitors center, built recently in the wonderful park "Historical Water Well." The
grateful population of Kaynardzha erected at this place back in 1892 large water well, symbolizing the
"place of peace" by 1774. The park has an area of 32 decare and there are various attractions in it,
related to the peaceful event:
- Historical Water Well "Kyuchuk Kaynardzha" - three memorial plates had been
placed onto it about the event of 1774
View of the historical Kyuchuk Kaynardzha Water Well and the square in front of it
The fifth Russo-Turkish War (1768-1774) was proclaimed by the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire -Mustafa III
against the Russian Empire. At the end of the war the throne belonged already to Sultan Abdul Hamid I. The
Russian Empress Catherine II – the Great imposed her victory by signing of the peaceful
"Kyuchukkaynardzhanski Treaty" on 21st July 1774 between Russia and the Ottoman Empire. The treaty,
written in Italian, Turkish and Russian, had been signed by Repnin and certified by General - Field Marshal
Count Rumyantsev and the Grand Vizier Musin- Zade Mehmed Pasha. In honor of this event the water well
was built in 1892 , declared as a historical and architectural monument.
The Treaty of Kyuchuk Kaynardzha (Küçük Kaynarca) proclaimed Russia as a defender of Christians and
Christianity in the Ottoman Empire and granted Russia the access to the Black Sea, facilitates the
annexation of Crimea by Russia in 1783. It is already allowed to Russian merchant ships to sail in Turkish
waters. The Ottoman Empire was forced to pay 4.5 million rubles contributions to Russia. The Peace Treaty
influenced the further history of this part of the world and greatly exacerbates the so-called "Eastern
The historic water well Kyuchuk Kaynardzha has unique sizes – front over 70m. 3 memorial plates had been
placed onto it and from its 6 spouts , wherefrom the crystal water is gushing.
The Kaynardzha Municipality, together with other six municipalities in Silistra region by the unifying
function of the Regional Administration Silistra, applied at the Program EDEN of the European Commission
for the year 2010 with a project which is ranked on the first place for Bulgaria, with the theme "The Water -
Source of Life and Prosperity. " The project is called "The Seven ’ states ‘ of water: spirit, health, faith,
history, beauty, tradition and customs". The Kaynardzha Municipality participated in the "history" chapter
with the subject "The Kyuchukkaynardzhansk Water Well" - a symbol of peace.
The project won funding for a 3-minute promotional film on the website of the European Commission -
Program EDEN / EDEN:
- The rock, whereon the peaceful treaty of 1774 had been signed – there is a memorial plate on it
The rock/Place of Peace/ with the memorial plate
- Tourist visitors center, wherein the guests can visit the exhibition and the memories of the
historical event, also to observe the history and customs of the population of the Municipality
Tourists visitors certer / in the distance to the right, the monument of Catherine the Great is seen
- Monument - bas-relief of the Russian Empress Catherine the Great
In 2009, on occasion of the celebrating the 235th anniversary of the signing of the peace treaty, a
monument in honor of the Russian Empress Catherine II - the Great has been built;
- Bust - monument of Count Rumyantsev
Opened on 21.06.2014, in honor of the 240th anniversary of Kyuchuk Kaynardzha peaceful treaty signing.
It is the second memorial in the complex, dedicated to the bravery of the Russian generals of that era and
the grandeur of the Empress Catherine II;
Tourist visitors center, on the left the memorial of Count Rumyantsev is seen
- The Church “St. Trinity "in v.Kaynardzha
In the second half of the XV-XVІІ centuries significant demographic changes entered in Dobrudzha
(Dobrogea) . As a result of the Russo-Turkish War of 1768-1774, many Bulgarian villages of these lands
changed their appearance. One part of the area's inhabitants emigrated to Russia and Wallachia. During
the Renaissance period, some processes had carried out, what were related to the affirmation of the
Bulgarian national, spiritual and religious identity. A chapel and unified village school were built in the
forties of the nineteenth century, and later the church "St. Trinity "in the v. Kaynardha in 1861, a
monument of culture and architecture. It is a stone building with three naves and an apse on the east
wall. On its west entrance is built a small shelter – lodge for storage the temple icon. Remarkable is the
decoration of the walls, skirting with numerous blind arches. The church preserves original icons, the
work of masters from Tryavna School. It has been consecrated by Vasil Drumev, as a bishop of Dorostolo -
- Magnificent water streams, waterfalls and cascades flowing along the entire park "Historic water well" - "PLACE OF PEACE”
A part from the park "Historic water well", through wich the eco trail passes across
Annually in the month of June at this historic place is held a folk festival called "At the water well, under the
The stage performers form the folklore group of the community center of Kaynardzha at the annual peace festival
THE HISTORICAL RELEVANCE OF THE TREATY OF KAYNARDZHA
not only brought fame and fortune to the country - winner, but it is stated in the Article 7 of the text of
the treaty that after its signing: “SUBLIME PORTE PROMISES PERMANENT AUSPICES TO CHRISTIAN
RELIGION AND ITS CHURCHES," ie this has implications for the peoples of the Christian world.
After the peace treaty became fact, a period of vigorous development of Orthodox Christian churches had
started. Until that time at the territory of the Ottoman Empire Sultan had been not allowed to build
churches higher than the height of a horse rider. An example of this are preserved over the centuries and
acting nowadays churches in Ruse city, in Sozopol city, in Elena city etc., which were dug into the ground
and accessed them in a very steep staircase. After signing the Kyuchuk Kaynardzha peace treaty , anywhere
in the country are built incredibly beautiful churches where our people confessed their Orthodox Christian
faith. In the very village Kaynardzha in 1861 was also built such church - "Holy Trinity", which was
consecrated according to the Christian Orthodox canon in 1862 . Nowadays it is declared a cultural
monument by the Minister of Culture. The temple is located in the western part of the park "Historic Water
Celebrations on signing the peace treaty of 1774 exist from this period with the construction of "Historic
Water Well” in 1892 as this was the beginning of the process. People worshiped the peace and have
immortalized it in a white –stone- fountain with dimensions of 76 m and 7 spouts of clear water. It has also
been declared a cultural monument of local importance.
- In 1942, the mayor of Kaynardzha at that time - Aleksandar Stanev, placed at the main column of the fountain commemorative marble slab with the text of the aforementioned Article 7 of the peace treaty.
- Then on various occasions and celebrations are placed memorial slabs to the different columns of
the fountain as well as the rock on which the peace treaty had been signed.
- In 2009 the municipality Kaynardzha built with private funds and donations the memorial - a basrelief
of Catherine the Great.
- In 2014 – bust- memorial of Count Pyotr Rumyantsev.
IMPORTANCE OF THE PEACE TREATY OF 1774 FOR THE SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC HISTORY OF KAYNARDZHA
Various celebrities and public figures who stayed in Kaynardzha to investigate the event and participate inevents on the occasion of specific anniversary.
Various celebrities and public figures have resided in Kaynardzha to investigate the event of 1774 and
participate in events related to the celebration of peace on the occasion of specific anniversary:
1. PROF. DRUZHININA – ATTENDED THE OFFICIAL CELEBRATION OF THE 200 –TH ANNIVERSARY OF
SIGNING THE KYUCHUKKAYNARDZHANSKI PEACE TREATY . SHE HAS MANY RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
ON THE EVENTS DURING THE WAR 1768-1774 YEAR.
2. Since 1999 every five years conferences have been held on the occasion of the peace treaty of 1774
under a different title. They are attended by historians, Russian consuls in the period, when the scientific
conference has been conducted, public figures from the municipality Kaynardzha and region Silistra,
professors and associate professors : AVRAM VASILEV- Highly respected historian, PROF. GEORGI
ATANASOV – Director of Archeological Museum in Silistra, PROF. NOCILAE FROM ROMANIA and PhD.
STANKA GEORGIEVA from the University of Ruse whose publication “Kyuchukkaynardzhanski peace treatyessence
and importance” can be find in the following link:
3. Many events are supported in their implementation by the Regional Governor of Silistra:for
example, on 20.06.2014., the site of the regional administration Silistra had published an article for
activities conducted on the occasion of celebrations of Kyuchukkaynardzhanski peace treaty:
"Historians discussed in Kaynardzha the signed peace treaty between Russia and the Ottoman
Empire 240 years later"
RECENT INVESTMENTS IN THE PARK OF PEACE OF KAYNARDZHA
In Kaynardja Municipality, the park dedicated to the peace treaty of 1774 was shaped by 1974 and 32 acres
to become a park dedicated to the event from 1774 were reserved. With the project under the Programme
for Rural Development 2007-2013, measure "Encouragement of tourism activities" the Municipality built a
tourist visitor center, which held the ninth conference of the European Network of Places of Peace. Then
we built the paths, staircases, amphitheater, water cascades, with which the park has become even more
attractive. The official opening of these new investments took place in June, 2014. The value of this project
was about 140 000.00 €.
In the tourist center the Municipality of Kaynardzha appoint 5 people dependent on the municipal budget,
whose continue to operate to meet tourists and maintaining a beautiful view of the park. In 2013 the
Municipality completed a project to build a "street lighting supplied with solar energy” in which spent
nearly 1 000 000.00 euros in photovoltaic modules in almost all villages of the Municipality as well as in all
streets of the park.
In 2015 the park's streets were paved allowing the increase in the number of park visitors. In 2016 the
supplying water channels of the historic fountain were rebuilt. This project had a cost over 200. 000,00 €..